Canada Travel

Moving To Canada: How To Get Started

April 19, 2017

If your reading this post I’m guessing you’re either deciding to or actually taking the plunge and moving to Canada! Yay for you! Embarking on your new life can be exciting but thinking about all the paperwork you need to do before you can establish yourself here can be daunting. As a fellow Australian who has already made the move and been through everything you need to do, I’ve decided to share my wisdom with you all!


Moving to Canada How to Get Started - White Petal Travels




First things first you will need to get a visa, luckily this is fairly straightforward and quick! The Government of Canada website has all the information you need. Your status, forms, documents and visa process is all done through this site.


Go to The Government of Canada website and create a profile for the International Experience Canada aka working holiday visa. You will need to do a quick questionnaire with questions about your country of origin or residency. Your profile information will include your details, passport details and contact information. Once you’ve completed this, submit your profile to go into the candidate pool. From there you wait in the pool until you receive your invitation to apply for your holiday visa.


Yay, you received your invitation! Now what? You have 10 days to accept this invitation and then 20 days to apply for your work visa from the date you accepted the offer. So now you have accepted you will need to fill out the online form and submit your supporting documents, which are;

  • Police Certificate
  • Your resume
  • Medical Exams (depending on your answers)
  • Copy of Passport
  • Passport sized digital photo
  • Family information

Note: Police certificates can take a while to receive so to be organised apply for this first so you can receive it before your application deadline, however, if this doesn’t arrive in time don’t stress as you can attach your receipt with the application number instead. When they review your profile they will reopen it and allow you to attach it then.

Now you have filled in the online form and attached your supporting documents you now need to pay your fee before you can submit your completed application.


Woohoo, your application has been approved and you’ve received your port of entry letter! Now you have to start getting your documents ready for the border services officers when you arrive, you will need;

  • Your passport… duh.
  • Your Port of Entry letter.
  • Proof of funds showing you have the equivalent of $2500 CAD or more to support your stay.
  • Proof of health insurance. (Important!)
  • A ticket of departure from Canada or sufficient funds to purchase a ticket.
  • Original copies of the documents you provided in your application.

The border service officer will decide to give you your working holiday visa if they are satisfied with all of the above.

Note: your health insurance must cover medical care, hospitalisation and repatriation.




Welcome to Canada, you made it! Take some time to explore, have a poutine and adjust to your new time zone before tackling the next bit.



You will need to get a SIN (Social Insurance Number) before you can get a job and open a bank account. To get your SIN number you will need to go to your nearest Service Canada Office and bring with you your passport and work permit which you received from your border service officer when you arrived. They will ask you some security questions and will also need to put down an address if you don’t have a rental sorted yet you can put your hotel’s address, then before you know it you’ll have your social insurance number!



Much like home, there are many different banks available to you. Due to the number of seasonal workers here most banks have special accounts for working holiday visa holders. Do some research and decide which bank has the best fees and options for you. To set up an account you will need to bring your passport, visa and SIN with you.


I hope this article has been helpful to you and you enjoy your time in Canada! Best of luck with your new journey!

Leave a comment below if you liked this post or if you have any questions! xo


Want to see more of the Canada Series?

How To Buy A Car

Life In Canada As An Australian


You Might Also Like


  • Reply Sara April 29, 2017 at 9:26 am

    I am Canadian but I have always been interested in the process people go through to move to my country, since I live abroad and have for awhile now. I encourage anyone to move to Canada if they can. Its a beautiful place. So many beautiful spots to live.

    • Reply whitepetal April 30, 2017 at 3:17 pm

      It’s so easy for Australians to get the working holidau visa. Loving Canada!!

    • Reply handry maria November 12, 2018 at 10:21 pm

      Hope, I can go to Canada

      • Reply Ashlee November 14, 2018 at 1:11 pm

        Positive thinking! I’m sure one day you will.

  • Reply Gabe Ellicott July 3, 2017 at 7:37 pm

    Hi Ashlee,
    Mum and dad are annoying the crap out of me, as all parents do.
    I’m trying to organised to have a working holiday in Canada, i’ve already followed your first step and applied for the International Experience Canada. My application is being processed at the moment.
    My parents speak to Helena a lot as she is their travel agent. They are just becoming annoying… Hahaha
    I’m just wondering where do i go from here (finding a job before i go, and accommodation) and if you’ve got any good advice.
    From a very keen 19 year old looking for the adventure of a lifetime!!!

    • Reply whitepetal July 5, 2017 at 3:16 am

      Hey there!
      Send me a message through my facebook page and we can chat there! More than happy to help you out but I’m in and out of reception at the moment so may not reply straight away 🙂

    Leave a Reply